DynaVox Announces the EyeMax
New Eye Gaze System Provides Greater Independence
PITTSBURGH, PA – August 6, 2008 – DynaVox today announced the EyeMax at the International Society of Augmentative and Alternative Communication’s biennial conference in Montreal (booth #s 23 – 26). The EyeMax is part of a new eye gaze system that provides greater independence to individuals living with the speech and physical challenges that accompany conditions such as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), cerebral palsy, stroke, and brain and spinal cord injury.
Available for use exclusively with the DynaVox Vmax, the EyeMax accessory raises the bar for eye gaze technology by providing a comprehensive communication solution along with many new capabilities unavailable or available only at additional cost on other eye gaze systems, including:
- The ability to configure a Vmax system with or without the EyeMax accessory, providing flexibility as a user’s condition and/or access needs change.
- Access to integrated infrared controls that make it easy for users to manage their surroundings.
- An internal battery that provides portability and freedom of movement.
- Dependable calibration that holds as long as a user’s needs remain unchanged, regardless of whether he wears contact lenses or glasses, or uses one eye or two.
- The ability for the user to independently change his own settings and program the device using the access method of choice.
- The ability to trigger an event (i.e., open the main page or have an alarm sound) if the EyeMax is not able to find the user’s eyes for a pre-determined period of time.
- Multiple access methods - including Dwell Only, Dwell/Blink combination, Blink Only and Select with Switch – which provide flexibility and allow the device to adjust with a user’s changing needs.
- The new Navigator interface, which is designed to allow Vmax and EyeMax users quick access to all forms of communication – speech, email, infrared control, internet, and more.
The EyeMax will begin shipping to customers in September 2008. The EyeMax accessory sells for $7,000 and does not include the Vmax. Funding is available through Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance.
About DynaVox Technologies
DynaVox Systems pioneers speech communication technology, giving an opportunity for a better life to the millions of adults and children around the world challenged by significant speech, language and learning disabilities caused by conditions such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s Disease), stroke, traumatic brain injury, cerebral palsy, Parkinson’s Disease, autism and mental retardation. Driving by a strong entrepreneurial culture, the company applies proprietary and third-party technologies, and applied research efforts to deliver a broad range of speech communication hardware and software tools, and offers an extensive customer support program, which enables individuals and their families to access the latest technology and reimbursement counsel regarding the company’s suite of products. For more information about DynaVox, visit www.dynavoxtech.com.